Highlighted

Suggested day hikes within 20 miles of Black Mountain, NC

Hello Fellow Hikers!

Looking for recommendations for day hikes to vista overlooks and beautiful waterfalls within about 20 miles of Black Mountain, NC. Looking for those out of the way, maybe less frequented areas as well due to this COVID stuff right now to help lift the spirits for a friend who is somewhat immunocompromised but an avid hiker who adores being out in the wilderness. So for the time being we need to avoid the crowds of Chimney Rock State Park and hiking areas that are frequented by many. Any suggestions out there?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Suggested day hikes within 20 miles of Black Mountain, NC

it looks like your about 6miles from the blue ridge parkway(?), tons of beautiful overlooks and side trails.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Weed Patch Mountain trail on CRSP quiet side.

Highlighted

Great suggestion @OutdoorWood !

Another one for Conserving Carolina to be proud of! The Weed Patch Trail can get you all the way to Eagle Rock- a long, long hike but an epic view (20 miles round trip). REI Asheville also provided grant money for this project! 

Great for hikers and MTB'ers alike!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi there @Bitmistress 

How thoughtful of you to do this for your friend! It is amazing how the outdoors can transform us; bringing peace, joy, and wonder into our perspective. 

Below are a few of my favorites, you may still find people on them ,but not as many as chimney rock. I would definitely connect with Conserving Carolina, they are a local outdoor non-profit and have plans to increase trails access in the Hickory Nut Gorge area.

1) Catawba Falls, beautiful falls and easy access & parking. But please practice waterfall safety, many people have lost their lives here from trying to take that "epic photo".

2) Wildcat Rock (Little Bearwallow Falls), a great hike with some vistas along the way and of course a little waterfall. REI Asheville donated $10,000 to help fund access and trail signage to this trail, its very clearly marked and has parking across the street.

3) Trombatore Trail & Bearwallow Mountain, both share the same parking lot and grand vistas on grassy balds. 

4) Check out a few hikes in the Montreat area! I have yet to explore these myself, but found them on the Hiking Project App. Rocky Knob, Lookout Trail, Katsuma, and Graybeard Trail.

Happy Hiking!

Highlighted

Hi @Bitmistress .  I've not been to this part of NC, but just recently read about the Linville Gorge Wilderness.  What I read, and the photos I saw are spectacular.  Looks like it's about 45 miles northeast of Black Mountain.  

Highlighted

Great call out @Rob6 !

Linville Gorge Wilderness is worth the drive! Beautiful ridgeline hikes overlooking the gorge, you could do out-and-back sections of the entire 22 mile loop. Or even plan for some backcountry camping! Fan favorites, short & steep include Hawksbill, Table Rock, and Shortoff Mountain Trail.

If you're looking in that area, check out the leisurely Fonta Flora Trail too!

Highlighted

I have my moments.  😁

Featured
Other boards in this category