Highlighted

Wildlife Spotting

What would be your favorite place to go out and spot wildlife? What kind of gear do you take if your only purpose is to see animals? 

Highlighted

Re: Wildlife Spotting

I like to go for trail runs at the Iroquois Wildlife Refuge, especially during the spring bird migration. Since I'm running I usually don't take any special equipment, but on occasion I have taken binoculars.  Bald eagles nest there, thousands of warblers pass through, as do many species of ducks and geese. Sandhill cranes also nest there.

Some times I get a good look at whitetail deer with their fawns.  There are rumors of black bears, but I have never seen one there. (Some of the tree stumps do great impersonations of bears.)

But hey, what about you Walkabout?  What's your fav?

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
0 Likes
Highlighted

I enjoy doing wildlife spotting down at the Texas coast. Tons of birds, fish other other wildlife along the coast. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have had the tree stump/black bear problem when getting in late on the trail. My pace would be twice as fast if i didnt have to stop and make sure the stump isnt moving.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@WalkaboutMT I don't have any favorite spots, or favorite equipment other than the usual safety/emergency gear in my daypack and a small 10x monocular around my neck. Where we live now, there's a lot of jungly terrain that is filled with all manner of reptiles, jewel-colored insects, and mongooses. Some of the mountain springs and creeks have brightly-colored salamanders, too. I'm always spotting something incredible. 

One thing I DID learn, however, is not to bring my younger son, who is 9 and chatters CONSTANTLY on the trail. He has single-handedly scared away tons of wildlife! In fact, we've done some hikes in remote places where the only living creatures we saw were ourselves 😉

Highlighted

Too Funny.  Your 9 year old would be perfect in Glacier National Park or any place with bears as you want to make noise, so that the bears are not surprised.

0 Likes
Highlighted

The best place I ever went for animal spotting was Alaska- particularly Denali. 

0 Likes
Featured