What was the best trip you took in 2019?

In August, I went to Peru and it was absolutely the highlight of my year.

While it was one of the most incredible trips I have ever been on, it was also, by far, the most challenging and very little went as planned.

I am a believer that everything happens for a reason and works out how it is supposed to and, in the end, having very little go as planned was what made this trip truly special. It allowed me the luxury, with no time constraints or agenda, to explore this beautiful country and connect with some truly amazing people. 

As you look back on 2019, what was the best trip you took? Share the details and inspire others for their next adventure. 

Peru 2.jpeg

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Re: What was the best trip you took in 2019?

My family and I got the chance to spend nearly 3 weeks on the South Island of New Zealand in 2019. Overwhelmingly one of the very best experiences in my lifetime. We camped, hiked, saw the sights, went to museums and cultural centers, explored some urban destinations, and ate like kings and queens. 

Like you, we didn't do much planning...but had a couple of "must see" destinations in mind. The rest was based on studying maps when we got there and recommendations by RV park managers and strangers we met along the way. 

Some of my pictures of our NZ trip are uploaded into the user gallery here. 

Started to section hike the Appalachian Trail.   Up ...Down ..up and down again but I love it.  Going back for more in 2020

0 Likes

I was very fortunate to be able to do the Laugavegur (hot springs) Trail in Iceland with a group of 5 friends.  I highly recommend it.  This was straight up backpacking, no touring around.  Airport to hostel in Reykjavik, bus to trail head, 5 days hiking, bus back to Reykjavik & hostel, then fly home.  Total costs (excepting airfare) @$650 (bus to/from airport, bus to/from trail head, @$15 per night camping fee (hut lodging an option, but we are backpackers), 4 nights in hostel, breakfast in hostel and restaurants in town, oh yeah, fuel for the hike. We did walk around Reykjavik for a day on each end of the trip.

Anyway, the scenery is fantastic, and despite many 'hero' videos, the walk is very benign, unless it storms, which is often.

We did it the first week in July and had prepared to do it as a full-on winter hike, so the packs were a bit heavier than summer hiking.  Fortunately, the area went from many feet of snow on the ground in May, to nothing, except on the approach to the highest hut, but walking was very easy, and we had bare spots to erect the tents around the hut.

https://youtu.be/YkOgDHadfjQ

0 Likes