Highlighted

Re: What was the best trip you took in 2019?

AB35D372-66BD-484F-A354-A8A24F3C49F1.jpeg

Dolomites hut to hut hike 

I had the privilege of having two great trips last year.  Hut to hut hiking in the Dolomites on the Alta Via 1.  I have hiked many beautiful places in the world but nothing beats the Dolomites for dramatic beauty.  Every day’s hike was unique and challenging.  I don’t know how the trekking company did it in these days of crowded trails, but we had them all to ourselves. The second great trip was heliskiing at CMH Bugaboos.  The snow, the lodges, the guides, the people, the food.  It is just an amazingly fun time.

C87AF156-7AFC-4D5A-9325-E34EC590C769.jpeg

Highlighted

Name of the trekking company ?

thanks 

0 Likes
Highlighted

The best trip of 2019 was also the hardest thing I have ever done! I had a knee surgery 2 years ago and have been building up my strength and endurance since then. In Early August I hiked the Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood. It was extremely challenging for me and I was very proud of myself for completing the loop! Over 9,000ft of elevation gain, multiple river crossings, 4 days, 47 miles. Phew! What a trip.

Mt. Hood as viewed from Timberline Trail in OregonMt. Hood as viewed from Timberline Trail in Oregon

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

The Lost Coast was a backpacking trip unlike anything I had done before! We did about 25 miles along the coast, going from sand to boulders to cliff-sides to grassy plains. Walked through a colony of seals. And there's two 4-mile sections you can only access when the tides are low. Permits are very limited to protect the area, and when I did it, I think my partner and I saw about 8 people over 3 days.

IMG_0325.JPEGIMG_0346.JPEGIMG_0362.JPEGIMG_0395.JPEGIMG_0454.JPEG

Follow me on Instagram @ryanjl10 to see backpacking and hiking photos.
Highlighted

@REI-TaylorH WOOO HOOO! Good for you!! Gorgeous photo! You should be proud of yourself! 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted

Can I have a tie ?

1) Mammoth Backpacking

_DSC6120-Pano.jpg

2) Hiking The Narrows, from the top-down

_DSC6839.jpg

Highlighted

@curiousmike you can absolutely have a tie!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

@curiousmikeBeautiful photo! We just got home from a road trip, the narrows was one of our hikes too. Although this week was very icy and cold, still gorgeous though. Love the colors in this shot! 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted

My best rip of 2019 was a 302 mile cycling trip along the Great Allegheny Passage and the Montour Trail in October. A cycling friend planned the trip and I rode along. We camped every night but one when we stayed in a hostel in Pittsburgh. The shorter days were a challenge as we often rode into camp just as the sun was setting. While we were prepared, the late night and early morning temps were colder than we expected and we ended up wearing clothes we had brought just in case the temperature dropped. Our trip even included a stop at the REI on the South side of Pittsburgh, just a couple blocks off the Great Allegheny Passage.

aka "Boonerelli"
Featured
Top liked members