Highlighted

Re: Re:What adventures are on your outdoor bucket list?

@Gary2 

Wow, Adak Island is WAY out there! That's isolated, even by Alaskan standards!

I always joked with my fishing friends that the fish in Alaska just swim up to your front door and will jump right onto your plate if you want. Not entirely true, but it can sure feel like it sometimes! I lived in Fairbanks for the last six years and just moved down to Seattle a couple of weeks ago.

Personally, I think that just living in Alaska for some amount of time should be on everyone's bucket list!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

People dont believe you but we actually caught fish by using a net over the culvert.  Those fish jump upstream and you can grab them.  Just gotta watch the eagles.  Those things are so surprising large compared to what we see in the lower 48...

Highlighted

A tough climb is Fuji.  I've done it 3 times while stationed in Japan.  Mt  Fuji is a real beautiful place.  🙂  Trail is gravel that is like taking two steps up and one back each time...

Highlighted

Check out the book “Dreaming Bears”

a Gwich’in Storyteller

a southern doctor.....A Wild Corner of Alaska.....good (easy) read. True story

Highlighted

@Dholsch 

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely check it out. Have you ever read 'The Blue Bear' by Lynn Schooler? Another incredible read based out of Alaska!

Thanks again!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.

Excellent! And no I haven’t read The Blue Bear but thanks for the recommendation. Here’s a good one, and a bit closer to home - check out ‘An Island Out of Time’ by Tom Horton. It’s an amazing story about the people living on Smith Island in the Chesapeake bay. After reading it and telling a buddy of mine about it we kayaked out to the island and camped there for a week. We now have memories that will last a lifetime. He has since moved away. I would definitely love to make that trip again sometime.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: What adventures are on your outdoor bucket list?

@hikebikefun this is an awesome thread, thanks for sharing!

For me, through hiking the entire PCT and the AT, summiting Denali (Alaska) and Aconcagua (Argentina), and doing some backpacking or mountaineering trip in Europe!

www.brynsharpphotography.com
Highlighted

Oh yeah, and New Zealand is on the bucket list for sure!

www.brynsharpphotography.com
Highlighted

I def want to go to Zugspitze (spelling?) again sometime. There is a small Inn on the top and literally nothing else. You are surrounded by the Alps and it is absolutely incredible.

0 Likes
Highlighted

There are so many ...

I think that #1 on my list is to hike and explore Iceland.  The Scottish Highlands and New Zealand are also on my list.  Closer to home, meaning in the U.S., Arches, Moab and Canyonlands in Utah. 

Featured
Top liked members