Highlighted

Heading to South Africa in November! Got any recommendations???

Good Day ! 

I am heading to South Africa in November with a group of 15 people. We are starting out at Krueger to go on Safari, then to wine country and finishing up in Cape Town. Any recommendations on restaurants, places not to miss and fun spots in Cape Town. 

Thank you for all your help! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Heading to South Africa in November! Got any recommendations???

We visited Cape Town last summer and had a lovely time. 

Hands-down, our top highlight from the trip was Boulder Beach and the African Penguins. We worked with a small company to take a one-day tour including a small amount of bicycling at Cape Good Hope. For about half that cost, I'd recommend instead to take the Hop On Hop Off day trip (https://www.citysightseeing.co.za/destinations/cape-town/products/cape-point-explorer-tour ). You could also rent a car - or perhaps your group will take you to the cape and to Boulder's beach. 

We also loved our hike up to Table Mountain. We hiked up from the botanic garden, using the Skeleton Gorge route (https://www.capetown.travel/five-table-mountain-hikes-to-try/ ), then took the cable car back down. 

And of course we took the boat trip out to Robben island - a must-see. 

For food, we really enjoyed the Victoria and Albert Food Market, next to the Watershed. The Food Market is an indoor food court with a lot of fantastic little eateries, allowing each person in our group to choose something different. 

Have a great time!

Highlighted

Thank you so much! I am copying all your suggestions down to present to the group! 

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @kanchaysonqo -

You are going to have so much fun in South Africa! I spent several months in Cape Town and it is a magical place. I wouldn't miss out on hiking Lion's Head. It's a great route with some minor scrambling that has 360 views of the water, mountains and city. (If you're there when it's a fuller moon, it is popular to hike up for sunset and hike down to the lights of the city!) Table Mountain and Devil's Peak are other great day hikes. 

Stellenbosch is the most popular wine region. It is lovely, but I also love Franschhoek! It is a little less trafficked since it is a bit farther, and is tucked up in some mountains and near a large Wildlife Preserve. You can't go wrong with either!

With a group of 15, I'd suggest checking out the Neighborhoods Market at Old Biscuit Mill if you have a free Saturday in Cape Town. Everyone can have their pick of what to eat for brunch/lunch and explore some local food and crafts. It's a great way to start the day before a hike or adventure around the city. 

Kirstenbosch Gardens is a beautiful botanical space, and often has concert series. It is also worth renting a car or joining a tour that goes from Cape Town down through Fish Hoek to Cape Point, then loops around to visit the Penguins in Simon Town. Camps Bay & Clifton Beach are accessible beaches, and a bit further (or via train) is Kalk Bay & Muizenburg. 

I feel like I could go on for too long! You're going to have a great time!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Thank you so much for all your suggestions! Very helpful!  

Cheers,

Shanon

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members