Highlighted

Heading to Argentinian Patagonia in the fall. Any tips for the hiking portion of the trip?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Heading to Argentinian Patagonia in the fall. Any tips for the hiking portion of the trip?

Hi there, @Zia !  I am excited for you to experience Patagonia – I returned from hiking on the Chilean side 2 months ago.  What hikes do you plan on doing?!  I would recommend a workout regimen at least 3 months prior to your trip.  Day hiking, stair training, weight lifting and general cardio are great ways to prepare.  Patagonia is known for its strong winds (even in spring and summer), so make sure you are prepared to experience it!  Be sure to pack a good quality jacket or softshell to protect yourself from the wind and the debris that it carries.  Stop by your local REI store if you have any questions or would like to seek recommendations on gear for your hikes; our employees would love to help you prepare for this trip! 

I hope that you are excited for your experience, have a great time!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Heading to Argentinian Patagonia in the fall. Any tips for the hiking portion of the trip?

Argentina is awesome, and a big country.   Torres del Paine is popular for a reason - it is great.  Technically it is in Chile, but is accessed through Argentina.  We did the "W", but should have done the whole circuit.

Bariloche is a great town and Nahuel Huapi was awesome.  For us, there was no shame in taking the ski lift up.

Refugio Frey

One thing that we learned over time was to break some of our American backpacking habits of always bringing packet of lousy dried food and a camp stove.  In retrospect, we should have eaten all our meal in refugios.  The meals are affordable, social and prepared with care by the hosts.  Definitely shift your thinking and be ready to enjoy meals at the refugios.  It will make your pack lighter and you will meet some friends.   

Highlighted

Bring a buff or two to wear as a head band or to cover your lower face if its dusty, windy, etc. Learn how to put the buff on that would enclose your hair totally if you have long hair (watch some you tube videos). A fellow female hiker taught all the ladies when we hiked the W and it was a really useful tip. 

Featured
Top liked members