Highlighted

Hawaiian Hikes?

I am heading to Hawaii in a few weeks and while I have a few ideas in mind, what are some spots that you might recommend. I will be on the Big Island as well as going to Maui for a part of the trip. Let me know your favorite spots! 

0 Likes

Re: Hawaiian Hikes?

8iPhonePics 2547.JPGMuliwaiSign1.jpg

I went on a backpacking trip that was incredible on the Big Island.  If you have time for a longer trip you should check it out.  You start at the Waipo Valley Lookout and take the Mulawai Trail to Waimanu Valley. 

It's a rough trail but the end goal is so worth it.  There are 9 campsites in the remote valley - you'll need to make a reservation online before you go.  I did see a trail runner that did the trail in one day but you really need to spend the night to have extra time to explore. Or two...

Pololu outlook on the north side of the Big Island past the town of Hawi. Parking is tight so you may want to go early. Definitely hike down to the beach.I you want, you can take a trail further down the beach but you need to look it up because I haven't done it. 

0 Likes

@tohlman I lived on the Big Island in early 2000s.  The hiking there is great, with so many different ecosystems.  You can head to the Hilo side and hike through lava tubes and see huge lush scenery and waterfalls.  Dont forget Volcanoes NP. Most of the there hiking there is on rough on old lava and it smells really sulfery but is so worth it. You can also just hike to a beach to snorkel or do longer hikes in Wamanu Valley or Mauna Kea.  Have fun and dont forget sunscreen!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes