Highlighted

Florida to Alaska Winter Road Trip

My dad and I decided to take the most epic dad daughter road trip from our home base in Florida to my parents' summer job in Alaska at Kenai Fjords Tours operating in Resurrection Bay and Kenai Fjords National Park. We drove their 1995 Dodge conversion campervan, named "Big Blue" and spent 16 nights sleeping in the van at campgrounds (which were scarcely open), boondocking, or some business owners let us park behind their shops and hook a space heater up when we could find electricity (since majority of towns and campgrounds were closed). We made our way across 15 states and 3 Canadian provinces, driving over 6,600 miles total!

It was late February and early March, so we had the roads and most parks to ourselves, and we lucked out on weather with only one blizzard during the last 3 hours of our trip from Anchorage to Seward. It was my first time ever in sub zero temps, driving on icy mountain roads and through what seems like a sea of snow and icy lakes. We saw so much wildlife! Elk, caribou, pronghorn, moose, bison, big horn sheep, lynx, deer, golden and bald eagles, you name it!

And we got to experience so many bucket list places and adventures together. The winter scenery was absolutely breathtaking! Some of our favorite places in the US were the Petrified Forest National Park and Painted Desert, Grand Canyon (of course), exploring the slots in Antelope Canyon, Horse Shoe Bend, Arches National Park (hiked to Delicate Arch with the beautiful view of La Sal Mountains in the backdrop), driving around the salt flats at Antelope Island, seeing huge herds of elk on our drive through Caribou-Targhee National Forest and driving the first 20 miles into Yellowstone (roads weren't accessible beyond that).

The drive through the Canadian Rockies while traveling 150 miles along the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper National Parks, was one of the highlights of the entire trip with gorgeous snow-covered peaks, massive glaciers and ice fields, frozen lakes, rivers, and waterfalls. We stopped for pictures of the seasonal ice castle at Lake Louise, and strapped on crampons to explore the methane bubble filled ice of Abraham Lake. In British Columbia we stopped for a dip into Liard River Hot Springs, and then finished driving along the Alaska Highway before turning south for the last leg of our trip on Seward Highway. 

It was absolutely unreal, I am dreaming about going back to explore these places during summer and springtime. Definitely memories that will last a lifetime!

IMG952019030595111227.jpg

MVIMG952019030995122239.jpg

IMG952019030495102210.jpg

IMG_20190311_080533_021.jpg

IMG952019031295132126.jpg

IMG_20190306_103226_127.jpg

IMG_20190305_175254_414.jpg

IMG952019031595141054.jpg

IMG_20190314_174044_463.jpg

Highlighted

Re: Florida to Alaska Winter Road Trip

HI @UnicornsRMyJam .  That is so incredibly awesome!  I have done a lot of traveling and hiking with my daughter, and your trip with your dad inspires me to do more.  A cross-country trip like yours would be amazing!  So glad you had the opportunity to make that trip and create lifelong memories.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Highlighted

Re: Florida to Alaska Winter Road Trip

@UnicornsRMyJam LOVE IT! Your photos are awesome and your memories of the trip even better! We just got back from a road trip to Grand Canyon and Zion with 3 of my kiddos, definitely a wonderful trip. I would love to do a trip like yours with my kiddos one day too 🙂 Thanks for sharing your adventure!

0 Likes
Featured