Highlighted

Backpacking Yosemite

Hi there, am new to the REi community but I’d appreciate some guidance. I’ve recently been interested in signing up for an adventure trip to Yosemite. It’s a dream of mine to go but I don’t have people to go with or all the gear to make it happen. Has anybody done a Yosemite trip with Rei and what is your experience with it?

Thank you!

~Victoria 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Backpacking Yosemite

Hey Victoria,

I haven't gone on an REI trip, but did a section hike from Tuolumne Meadows to Devils Postpile this past September. It was some of the most stunning scenery I've ever seen, the alpenglow and stars at night were breathtaking, and I met plenty of really great people on the trail including:

• 15 backpackers from Yokohama ranging in age from 30's to 70's
  • A woman who was a former triathlete who had overcome some incredible physical challenges to be on trail (hiked together for a day)
  • A man who had suffered a stroke and had limited use of half his body, but was out there with support from his family and friends and not letting his handicap define what he could do
  • Hikers from Canada, Netherlands, Middle East, Austria
  • People hiking with Llamas
  • Pack trains
  • A guy whose fly fishing rig had been destroyed on his flight, but he didn't realize it until on trail. A shuttle driver picked up a replacement for him and delivered it to him en-route

All I can say is that Yosemite, the Sierra Nevadas, are something everyone needs to see.

Sign up and go with REI, or find a friend, get prepared, and go. Have a great time!

-Sheryl

Highlighted

It does depend a bit on what you mean by "adventure trip"  but I'm assuming back country backpacking.

I  have not been on a guided trip with REI but I did use a guide company from my first backpacking trip to Yosemite and although it was quite expensive it was well worth it.  At the time I had fairly limited experience with backpacking and none in the Sierra.  I learned a whole lot and it gave me the knowledge and confidence to go on my own trips there and other places.

Generally guided trips supply and prepare the food and filter the water. We each had to carry some of the food which was in bear canisters.   The rest of your gear may be up to you.  In my case the company provided a recommended gear list of what to bring (and what not to bring).  REI does rent gear for things like sleeping bags, sleeping pads, backpacks and tents so you probably don't have to buy much specialized stuff unless you want to.  The rest is mostly hiking clothes and shoes/boots you may already have...

Note: You may want to get your own water filter (I recommend the Sawyer Squeeze or the Katadyn Be Free for the Sierras) just because it is more convenient to filter you water when you need it.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi, @Victoria08 ! I went on an REI Adventures trip to Yosemite in 2018 (the Yosemite High Country Backpacking Trip) , and it was incredible. Our guides were welcoming, knowledgeable, and created a really unforgettable experience for everyone. The group dynamic was a lot of fun! It was great to meet participants of all ages and experiences levels from different parts of the country. REI offers several different Yosemite adventure trip options, so your group and gear requirements may be a little different for each one. For most of the backpacking trips, you should expect that any group gear will be provided by your guides (tents, cooking gear, water filter, first aid kids, bear canisters, and camping permits). Your local REI store may also provide rentals for other required gear items. I would definitely recommend checking the gear list for whatever trip you are interested in for details. I hope that is helpful - good luck! 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members